Saturday, September 3, 2016

My First Home Project!

I haven't posted photos of the new house yet, I know. But it's because my last little bit of new furniture is being delivered this week and I plan on taking a bunch of pic then.

Anyway, our bedroom window is west facing, as is our large kitchen window. We have a ton of natural light and that is awesome, what isn't awesome is that our bedroom gets heated up right before we are ready to go to bed. Because of this, my teddybear husband has turned into a grouchy bear every night for the last week. 

To help remedy this problem, I began researching ways to cool down our room (the most logical being to simply keep the sun out). I decided to try thermal curtains to not only cool down our living spaces, but to add a little color to our brown walls trimmed with white (and brown carpet). 

At one point, there had been a curtain rod installed in the kitchen, but it was no longer there, so we needed to purchase the necessary hardware and (re)install ourselves. It wasn't too hard to switch out the hardware and screws, but our bedroom needed the whole nine yards for installation.

We went shopping at Big Lots and picked out rods for each window, and selected lovely blue patterned curtains for the kitchen, and some dark red ones for our bedroom. I raided the toolbox, found what I needed, and began the installation.


This is our bedroom window before I got my hands on it.

Thanks to Sam for snapping the photos!

My finished product!

As soon as we hung the curtains, Sam noticed the thermostat drop about 4 degrees in less than 30 minutes. Later, as we were getting ready for bed, we noticed our room was significantly cooler (we probably won't even need the fan tonight!).

Yay for completing our very first home improvement project! 

Next up is creating our very own compost bin for our produce shavings so that we can make soil for our future garden boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment