Saturday, July 26, 2014

JK Rowling is my Hero

I was 9 or 10 the first time I heard about Harry Potter. I'm pretty sure I was in 4th grade, and my ELP teacher gave me her copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone because she thought I'd enjoy it.

I did.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Best decision I ever made was reading that book. Good thing too, because the movie came out about a year later and everyone was so excited.

Back to the book. I was amazed at the story. But let me be perfectly honest, I totally skipped the first chapter because I had no idea what was happening. I always started with the second chapter. I think I did this every time I read it until I was maybe 11 or 12. Once I read through chapter one, a lot more made sense. I fell into the wonderful world of HP, and spent the next couple of years waiting in line at midnight to get the new books and to see the movies. I regret nothing.

Let me back up for a minute. My favorite book is called The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I was in 6th grade when I first read it, and I could totally relate to it. Then I found out that it was written by a girl, which made me love it even more. She wasn't just a girl, but a 19-yr-old girl. JK Rowling is also a girl. If they could write books, why couldn't I?

As I watched HP grow into the amazing world JK had dreamed up, I was further inspired. I wanted to write, be published, and have my stories inspire others, the same way hers had inspired me.

JK is my hero because she had an idea and ran with it. She incorporated dark feelings, love, happiness, magic, friendship, and a slew of other attributes into an amazing saga. Seriously, look what she did! She is my idol because she started a story that took her seven books to tell, and I admire her so much.

I would love to meet her someday.

Maybe one day I will have the chance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment