Monday, March 7, 2016

Volunteering

We've been volunteering a bit lately, and have had a blast doing it (except Sam doesn't really appreciate the whole getting-up-before-dawn-on-Saturday deal). Even though we had to be there at 6:30am, he did not let me down!

The last weekend in February, my work hosted the regional Science Olympiad, so I needed to be there to help work the event. Lucky for me, my sweet husband decided to join me and spent most of the morning handing out T-shirts to the Olympiad volunteers.




For me, the day consisted of walking up and down the stairs (a lot!), so I shouldn't have been surprised when my calve muscles were screaming at me the next day. But my daily PiYo workout helped me stretch everything out so I didn't feel quite like I was dying.

Anyway, a friend of mine from school runs an annual cancer research stair climb event, and asked me and Sam to help out when she had two volunteers drop out. Of course I said yes! We had to be at the Wells Fargo building downtown by 5:30am (boy, I must owe my husband big time for this one!). I made blueberry waffles the night before so we could still have hot breakfast on the go.

We had so much fun! We spent the entire 6hrs on the 12th floor of the Wells Fargo Building, cheering on the climbers until my voice finally ran out.


 



Even firefighters from all over Salt Lake came and did the climb in their full fighting gear, so props to them for sticking it out for such an important cause.



We were by far one of the most popular floors (seriously, the climbers said so!), mostly because we kept rewriting popular songs and singing them to the climbers. For example, a parody of Macklemore's 'Thrift Shop':

You're gonna climb some stairs, only got 12 more floors to go-o.
Come on now you got it, there's water if you want it.
You are super awesome!

We sure had fun volunteering, and now we're looking forward to a Saturday of doing absolutely nothing to recover from the last two weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment