Saturday, April 22, 2017

If I really loved myself...

... I would silence the little voice inside my head that says I'm never going to be enough.

I thought about this post for awhile, and felt like the prompt was a loaded question. First, it suggests that I don't love myself enough. Secondly, I don't love myself enough to try to be happy.

So let's address what me loving myself actually looks like.


  • I cook everything I eat
This one may seem weird, but since I eat leftovers for lunch everyday, I have to cook or else I won't eat. I take the time to plan out our weekly menu and make our grocery list so that I can shop in about 20 minutes, and we eat much better than we did when we first got married.

The love part comes into play because I know that I took the time to make extra food so that I could eat a hot lunch the next day. It's a comfort to know that I won't let myself starve ;) Every now and then I'll try some new recipes and make some yummy treats that we snack on for a few days. It's the little things; love is a verb. It may be smaller, but it is important.

  • I walk my dog almost every day
My cute little puppers stays in her crate all day, so I do my best to walk her every day as soon as I get home from work. Depending on the day, the walk lengths vary, but she always gets around the block at least once. This one may be a little more for me lately than for her, because it usually depends on how many steps I need to hit my daily goal.

Regardless, she gets a good walk most days. Unless the weather is less than desirable, which was our entire winter season unfortunately. Since she's such a tiny thing, she can't go on multiple walks that are very long every day. Really all she needs is one, and we learned during break that she is not a morning dog and cannot focus if we walk in the morning. She takes after Sam for sure on this one1

  • I try to get a full night's sleep every night
I'd been exhausted the week before break, and deduced that I wasn't getting enough sleep. I spent most of break sleeping in, but learning that I can go to bed sooner definitely works in my favor. I'm usually just a few minutes shy of a full 8hrs, but I think I'm doing all right. It's horribly unfair that I naturally am waking up before 6am on weekends, because I'd really love to sleep in a little bit longer.

  • I make sacrifices for my husband
Sam is much more religious than I am, so certain religious sacrifices aren't considered sacrifices in his eyes. but again, it comes back to time. I take the time to read scriptures with him every morning before I leave for work, and we pray together. We also pray together at night, usually when I'm already in bed. I'm sure a lot of people would think, "Huh, well that's not a real sacrifice." But it is. I sacrifice my time to do the little things that are important to Sam, which means less time for me to get dressed/make lunch/work out/shower/etcetera. He makes sacrifices for me too, and I always acknowledge his small acts. 

Love really is a verb.

So instead of asking yourself, "If you really loved yourself, what would you do?"

Try asking yourself, "What ways do I practice self-love?"

I think the mindset is much, much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment