Sunday, February 5, 2012

It's that time...again

So, during the Summer of 2010, I took the GRE to apply to grad school. I was graduating early, and my mom suggested that I just go for it and apply. After thinking all summer, I hastily decided to apply for the U's Political Science Grad Program. I didn't get it, but then when I was interning in DC, I decided that I really wanted to stick with Communication.

Flash forward to last week, I was researching Utah schools for programs to see if I was interested. Believe it or not, BYU's Masters of Mass Comm looked the most interesting. Don't get me wrong, I'm still applying to both the U and Westminster, but for some reason, BYU is calling to me.

In order to qualify for their program (and the U's), I need to retake the GRE and improve my score (especially verbal) by about 200 points, and to beef up my writing score by 1.5. Rather than paying $600 for a prep course, I decided to prep on my own, with lots of books from the library. I figure, a new book every month, with 8 months to prepare, I should be 10 times better off than I was last time.

Yesterday, Mom picked up my first prep book for me while I was working, and I just began skimming through today. Good news, all of the fill-in-the-blanks one word verbal questions I answered correctly. I do need to memorize more words though, because the two and three-answer fill-in-the-blanks had me pretty freaked out. As nerve racking as test prep is, I would much rather retake the GRE as opposed to the LSAT like some of the other DC Interns did when we were back east.

The idea of doing this again doesn't scare me, because I feel that applying for grad school feels more right at this point in time than it did back then. If I don't get in anywhere, I suppose it will be time to redraft another chapter in my life. I hope that grad school is included, but it isn't the only part of the plot I'd like to see play out.

To conclude, as I continue my test preparation, I will incorporate my verbal words into my posts from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment