Wednesday, March 8, 2017

what would I wish for?

For the longest time, I believed that if I could wish for anything, I would wish for no anxiety (for me, or anyone else for that matter). But lately, as I've gotten better and better about defusing and living with my high-functioning anxiety, I've been pondering what I would wish for if anxiety was not my focus.

I wish I were braver. I wish I had the courage to make more daring choices, like study abroad or go skydiving. I'm practical and responsible to a fault. I was just telling someone the other day that I never did anything crazy awesome when I was younger because I was planning and saving for the house I would buy eventually.

I'm not saying that I wish I'd done reckless or careless things, but I wish I'd been brave enough to take some of the seemingly ridiculous opportunities that were placed in front of me.

I realize that I can't go back in time and change the past, but I can absolute set myself up for future opportunities to be adventurous.

For example, playing soccer! I can't even begin to describe how playing a season of indoor soccer has changed me. So much so that our next season starts on Saturday.

Also being a Big with Big Brothers, Big Sisters and mentoring a 14-yr-old girl has been quite the adventure too.

Perhaps having the courage to do adventurous things is all in my perspective. I mean, it's only March and I've already done some pretty neat things so far this year. I've some ideas and a few strategies to encourage a new kind of history instead of letting mine repeat itself. I've got less than 3 years left in my 20's to have my 20-something adventures, and then it will be time for the 30-something adventures. I just want to make the most of the choices that are out in front me.

Well what do you know, maybe I got my wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment