Wednesday, February 7, 2018

his hand in all things

I've always struggled with religion.

It is hard for me to place my faith into various situations and people because I am a woman of logic. I rely on facts to make decisions, which is why anxiety is such an issue for me (lack of control makes everything feel like a nuclear bomb rather than a broken nail).

Yet there are times where I feel the magnitude of God's presence, and the comfort that comes with that is practically indescribable.

Last Saturday was one of those days.

We blessed our sweet boy in the morning, and I went to a baptism that afternoon.

Sam's parents and his brother Jake flew in and stayed with us so they could be here for the blessing, so our house was full of Elmers!

We loved having them with us, especially because Jake's son is four months older than Charlie and we got to hear all sorts of baby stories.

As we prepared the house for the plethora of people, I began to realize that Sam gets to perform all of these amazing ordinances for our son.

The time came and Sam blessed Charlie to be kind, helpful, and a number of other things. Charlie did such a good job and really didn't fuss too much during. Lisa had saved the outfit that Sam was blessed in almost 30 years ago, and Charlie was able to wear it. He also wore white shoes with blue bears on them courtesy of Miss Shirley. Afterward, everyone wanted a chance to see our sweet boy. He ended up in my dad's arms and kept smiling at him, over and over again.

Being surrounded by family and close friends just helped me better understand what the Lord was going for when he created families. To feel such a special kind of love and commitment changed me, especially feeling like we are so much more than a family of three, we are all one big family.

This idea was only furthered when I attended the baptism later that afternoon for the daughter of a family whom I absolutely love to pieces.

Sam will be able to baptize our son someday.

We are already an eternal family.

How blessed I felt, especially because I remember being at a crossroad in my life shortly before Sam became an integral part of my story. I distinctly remember feeling like the choice I made next would be the choice that would set me up for the next stage of my life.

Two months after I made my choice, Sam and I had our first date. Five months later we were engaged. Three months later we were married. Two and a half years later we have a beautiful little boy.

I know I didn't get this little family by accident.

Again, I stand all amazed at His hand in all things.



No comments:

Post a Comment