Friday, February 16, 2018

Legacy of Kindness

A week ago, Sam's grandfather Toby passed away.

We all knew it was coming, I spent most of last Friday waiting for the update. Lisa called us when Sam arrived home from work and told us. Poor Sam didn't know how to feel, he had never lost a grandparent until that moment.

Bob had booked us a flight for the next morning, so I spent most of that night praying that the baby would travel well. We packed in a hurry and headed to the airport around 9am with Charlie in tow.

It took 30 minutes to check our bags, and 30 more minutes to get through TSA. Lucky for me, Charlie slept the entire time in his wearable carrier. By the time we grabbed something to eat, stopped for a bathroom break, and did a diaper change, it was time to board the plane.

Charlie started fussing loudly while we waiting for family boarding, he was ready to eat. I had hoped to nurse him before we boarded, but I did't have enough time to make that happen. We camped out in the very back row of the plane and I started nursing him as soon as I buckled my seatbelt.

He nursed for twenty minutes and then passed out for a nap. Again, he slept the entire time.

I was so grateful.

Bob picked us up at the airport and then we took our luggage to Jake & Alexa's. This was the first time we had visited Arizona and not stayed with Sam's parents, but it was nice because Jake and Alexa have all the baby stuff for PJ.

I was exhausted. I hate travel day because I get so anxious about flying, and I hadn't slept well the night before either.

Regardless, we all slept very well that night.

The next day, Lisa capitalized on all of her children being at the house and we did family photos. I can't believe how much we've grown since Jake and Alexa's wedding.






The services for Lisa's dad were held on Tuesday, so most of Monday was spent preparing. We set up chairs in the backyard, power washed the deck, etc. Or rather the boys did while I watched the babies.

As more and more family members arrived into town, we got to spend time with all of Lisa's siblings. It was bittersweet to see so many relatives under more sobering circumstances.

I had been asked to sing at the service, so Sam and I practiced a bit. Although when the time came, Charlie was fussing and wouldn't let anyone hold him but me, so I had to perform while wearing him in his carrier. At least he was sleeping!

Sam's other set of grandparents were able to attend the services as well, and I asked Bob to help me get a four generations photo. We were able to snap a few :)



During the services, I learned so much about Toby. A common word recurrence was 'kind.'

I began to ponder what kindness means, but I also feel that I learned what kindness looks like. While I may not have known Toby beyond two visits to his assisted living facility, I recognize his legacy.

I see that kindness in Sam.

I see that kindness in Lisa.

I can only imagine what kindness looked like in Toby. It's amazing to hear so many stories and perspectives about how one person can leave such a significant impact in the lives of so many people.

Charlie is very blessed to have been born into such a beautiful legacy. I'm very blessed to have been brought into a family as lovely and kind as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment