Tuesday, February 9, 2016

finishing my fieldwork

Yesterday, I visited with my very last group of 7th graders for my fieldwork, meaning that as of no, my fieldwork has concluded.

I had mini-meltdowns during the majority of winter break because I wasn't get any responses from my recruiting tactics (i.e. going through my project supervisor), and spent many days obsessing over how my life was on the verge of being over because I hadn't made any progress.


Finally, I struck gold and everything started falling into place. My anxiety levels returned mostly to normal, and the need to take deep cleansing breaths wasn't as frequent.

Scheduling stuff was fine, but preparing for the events took time. There were consent forms to write and deliver, note cards to write questions on, and then of course, actually conducting interviews with adults and brainstorming session with the kids was another story entirely.

I had fun, really, I did, I interviewed three adults (two teachers, one district person), and brainstormed with a class of 7th graders at three different school (two in a district, one not). I learned so much, and now I have the glorious task of sorting through the data and attempt to make sense of it.

Working with kids has been interesting, and I'm so lucky that they've been willing to talk to me and tell me what they think about my topic.


I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my chest now that this part of my research is done, but now I worry about whether or not it will be enough for my thesis advisers.

Writing should be a breeze now, but first the coding. So much coding! When this is all over, I never want to see multi-colored highlighters ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment