Monday, May 23, 2016

Adios Amiga!

My middle school Spanish teacher retired this year, and I was able to attend an open house in her honor.

I first met Señora Aveytua in August of 2002. For the life of me, I cannot remember which class period it was, but I want to say it was 4th period.

Anyway, she taught from the Paso o Paso textbook, and we'd start class everyday with a Spanish song. See, we'd get a new song every week or so. She'd hand out the lyrics, go over the Spanish to English vocabulary, and then we'd sing. Some of the songs that we sang were Guantanamera, Amigo Felix, El Chico del Apartamento Cinco Doce, Despues de Ti, and Estoy Aqui.

I'd never taken a language class before, and I was so happy that I had a teacher that made it so fun. It was by far one of my favorite classes of all time. Had she taught high school level Spanish, I would have taken it all throughout high school instead of just another two years.

I wish that she would video record all of her lessons so that I could still learn from her online. Since I'm starting work at Parkview in two weeks, I realized that I will have the chance to actually use my Spanish again. Time to brush up using Duolingo!

Pam Aveytua, Anna and Connie Wyckoff, and me

Happy Retirement, Señora Aveytua! Hope you have many more adventures!

1 comment: