Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Listen

I like to think I'm a good listener, but I notice that I'm not very good at listening to certain things.

For example, I'm not the best at listening to myself.

Like, when I feel sick but I go on with my daily plan regardless.

Or when my heart wants me to acknowledge its opinion regarding a certain matter.

Even times like this week, where I was desperately listening to the spirit for answers to some of my questions. Part of me was like, "I already know what I want to do, and I'm going to do it." The other part of me said, "Just wait. Just listen. Everything will work out."

I guess I'm so incredibly forward with my decision-making because I like to think that I always know what's best for myself. Lately I've been practicing letting the big man upstairs point me in the right direction. This has become a daily part of my prayers. I ask for guidance, encouragement, strength, and understanding of the world around me.

Anyway, I was in the shower one of my mornings last night, and I got my answer. It was such a surreal experience, like someone was saying the words in my head and the voice wasn't my own. I don't feel the need to say what I heard, but I heard it nonetheless, and now I know what to do.

Ever since that morning, I have been at ease. My doubts have subsided for the time being, and I have peace.

Even this past Sunday, I recognized the remnants of that voice when I suddenly had the desire to bear my testimony during Sacrament. The voice told me what I knew I wanted to say. It was amazing.

To conclude, sometimes you just need to pause and listen. You might be surprised at what the world is trying to tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment