Sunday, January 15, 2017

I've Never Played A Sport In My Life

I'm an artist, not an athlete. I'm an evil-genius, not a soccer-player.

Yet, I somehow let my adorkable husband convince me to play a season for an indoor soccer league. His friend recruited him to play for a team called "The Scientists" and he managed to get me onboard as well. I was floored that it was his idea, since he has a vendetta against any kind of exercise-like activity. But he was so excited, and I wanted to be supportive, so we became the new team members.

The extent of my soccer knowledge is the Disney flick The Big Green, so I understand a good amount of rules and strategy. But theory and application and two very different things.

Our first game was on Saturday night, so we scrambled to buy shin guards and soccer socks during our regular errands so we were ready for the game.






I've never played a sport in my life, mostly because I'm afraid of getting hit. So when I was playing defense for the team, they told me to block the other team by getting in their way and trying to steal the ball. That's all fine and dandy unless your opponent is two feet taller and has a good 50lbs on you. I got smashed the first time I tried to go for it. My head absorbed most of it, and Sam was trying to determine if I was showing signs of a concussion. Since I wasn't showing signs, we decided to rest easy. It shook me up though.

We ended up losing 5 to 4, but not bad considering Sam and I had no idea what to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment