Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Making a Dream House

Due to the fact that we spent the last two weeks in our house all day and not at work, we were finally able to talk about some of the home projects we want to do and some of the updates that we need to make. After trolling the house and taking notes, we heading out to Home Depot and Lowe's to do some research and price check a few things. Of course I made a list!

Project #1- Basement Windows

When we bought our house, we were thrilled that the windows were all new, with the exception of three in the basement. We need to get quotes from a few different places so that we can make arrangements to have them upgraded during the springtime. I'm super psyched, but only because our current basement windows are only single-paned and don't have screens. I know this will be the priciest of the upgrades, but it will be worth it.

Project #2- Porch Lights

We have flood lights for porch lights by the front door and the side door, but they need to be replaced (the fixtures are hideous). At first, I wanted to completely remove the flood lights and install regular porch lights, but having Princess has helped me see the value of flood lighting. I hate turning on the porch light and leaving it on for any stretch of time, so I told Sam that I wanted our flood lights to be motion-censored. I can't wait to choose a fixture that isn't quite as outdated, but still lights up the yard for Princess to do her business.

Project #3- Rain Gutter

Our front rain gutter has a low point, which has now made several icicles. Actually, the rain gutter just needs to be replaced completely. Additionally, our downspouts need to be adjusted to Sam's liking (plus Princess loves licking the water that falls off of the house). So yeah, hopefully we can take care of it when the snow is gone, but before spring showers start.

Project #4- Doors 

Our storm doors suck! They are old and clunky and I can't wait to see them go. I found a door style that I really like, and I also want to replace our back exterior door as well. I'm really happy that we can not only keep our front exterior door, but we can give it a makeover by frosting the stain glass for more privacy and giving it a fresh coat of paint.

Project #5- Side Fence

Our neighbors don't really take care of their yard, which explains why they've let the side fence become so run down. Part of it collapsed during November's snow storm, but Sam and Bob reattached it with some new wood pieces. Since then, we've been trying to decide how to deal with the fence as a whole. We've finally decided that we would reinforce if with brand-new two-by-fours and finished enclosing the backyard.

Project #6- Paint House

Our house is made up of light tan bricks and light blue siding. The blue just does not work with the tan brick, so I found a nice dark red color the paint over the blue (now the house will look more like a barn!). I am convinced that it will make our house that much more special because there are no other red houses in our neighborhood.

These are a mix of smaller and larger projects, but I can't wait to get started and see just how beautiful we can make our house. It really will be 'our' house when we've finished these projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment