Sunday, January 1, 2017

Starting 2017

Our New Years Eve was pretty low-key, but it encompassed our preferences in so many ways. We didn’t really want to go out and be in large crowds of people, so we opted for a night in with another couple. For dinner, I made Shepard’s Pie (mashed potatoes, cheese, beef, and corn) and for dessert we had chocolate raspberry Milano cookies.

Following our meal, we played a game called Dominion. It took me a whole game to figure out what to do and the best way to strategize, but once I connected the dots, we were in business. We played three rounds before attempting to watch the countdown in New York City. When I say attempt, I mean we missed the countdown by about 10 seconds, so we performed a countdown redo just for our own amusement. We popped open a bottle of sparkling cider and ‘cheers-ed’ our way into 2017 (and only two hours early!).

After our friends left, we talked for a bit as we got ready for bed. I know, I know, going to bed at 10:30 on New Year’s Eve is lame, but it was exactly what we needed. I mean, what else did we need besides a game night, a good dinner, and family snuggles with our puppy?

As we turned off the light to go to sleep, the hamster in my mind decided to jump on the hamster wheel and keep me up for another 30 minutes. I began thinking about lots of things that I am looking forward to in this new year. I’m excited for so many things, especially investing some time and effort into our house.

We were at Lowes the other day looking for stickers numbers for our brand-new locking mailbox, but for some reason we got hung up in the door section looking at new storm doors. You see, the storm doors we have are quite old, they are heavy, clunky, and look incredibly run-down. I was determined to check out what some of our options would be should we decide to upgrade with new, more modern doors.

I was immediately overwhelmed by the selection in front of me. There were so many styles and colors (and price points!), how in the world was I supposed to narrow it down?

After a good stroll through the choices and finally ending up on the aisle to get the numbered mailbox stickers, I was pretty sure of how to proceed.

When we arrived back home, I scoured the internet and came to the conclusion that Home depot had the same selection as Lowes, and would most likely honor Lowes coupons if I asked them. I learned that it would cost just as much to install the doors as it would to purchase them. Suddenly, my $600 purchase turned into $1100.

However, we could install the doors ourselves and save some money there. Lots of choices.

I originally wanted to replace our front door, only because the glass design is totally see-through and I want the option to stand in the kitchen in my underwear without my neighbors seeing me ;) Our friends had suggested simply frosting the glass from the inside either with contact paper or frosted spray paint. I checked out Michael’s to see what they had, and sure enough they had a decent spray paint product that would meet my needs. Suddenly, I no longer desired to replace our front door.

Doors aside, our rain gutters need some updating, and I’m determined to turn our light blue house with tan brick into a red house with tan brick. Now I get to start searching for a handyman who can help us with some of these tasks. If you know anyone in the greater Salt Lake Area who you’d gladly recommend for some of these jobs, please let me know.

Honestly, I think these three projects will increase the curb appeal of our cute little house exponentially, I just need someone to teach me how to actually do these household improvements and I’ll have it made.

Like I said, there is so much to look forward to in this new year, and our home is merely one item on my list of things to be excited about. I’ve made commitments to my art and my body this year, and I’m ready to test my dedication. I’m determined to focus on ‘me’ for the remainder of the school year, and see what comes of it.

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment