Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Expecting A Miracle, Part 4

  • Have you always wanted to be a parent?
I've always loved kids, especially babies. But did I always want my own? Actually, I'm really not sure how to answer that. I think I always appreciated the idea, but there was a large part of me that doubted I would ever slow down long enough to start my own family. Regardless, knowing that this little boy is on the way overwhelms me with joy. I know I was meant to be his mama.
  • How would you describe the ideal parent you hope to become?
I want to be the parent that my son trusts, and the best way for him to trust me is for him to feel safe when he is around me. I am a strict babysitter, and I plan on continuing this practice with my own children. My biggest challenge will be learning when to take a step back and let my kids learn on their own, but that's why I have Sam to offer up what is missing in my own parenting philosophy and practice. Together we will figure it out.
  • Which parenting mistakes did your parents make that you swear not to repeat?
I often feel like when my family called a 'family meeting,' all it did was shake everything up like a snow globe. I definitely want to make sure that emotional issues and other happenings get resolved when trouble stirs up. Talking about emotions and developing better emotional intelligence is probably one of the best ways I can improve on my parent's tactics. Other than that, I plan on repeating many teachings because I do think that I turned out okay.
  • Your fur-babies – (animals that were treated like babies before having a ‘real one’) – how will they welcome the new baby?
I've been doing my best to get Princess used to the idea of baby stuff. Every time someone gives us a box of baby stuff, we wash it and let her smell it. She's such a sweet dog, I'm mostly convinced that she will investigate the baby by smelling him thoroughly, and then she will snuggle up next to him like a stuffed animal. We frequently talk about our arrangements for her while we are actually at the hospital, and we really just are not that worried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment