Sunday, October 1, 2017

Expecting A Miracle, Part 5

  • What are the ten worst things about being pregnant?
I've actually really enjoyed being pregnant, it isn't as horrible as many mothers continued to perpetuate as I was considering the timing of expanding my little family. Regardless, here are the ten things about being pregnant that have been hard for me:

  1. Sciatic pain; kinesiology tape and my exercise ball have been my best friends whenever this pain is aggravated. It is especially frustrating because my doctor told me that there isn't a way to prevent it because baby is moving and growing every second.
  2. Heavy belly; usually mid-afternoon I can feel the full weight of my pregnant belly weighing me forward. I really didn't feel like I had gained much weight, until I learned that I'd gained 20lbs. Then I realized, no wonder my belly ached because I had an extra 15% of my body weight isolated in one section of me.
  3. Aching Feet; this one may be a bit of a stretch, mostly because I'm pretty sure I had this ailment before getting pregnant, but I think the extra 20lbs in the belly exaggerates the problem.
  4. Tiredness; this is has more to do with being tired from lack of a good sleep rather than just feeling tired all the time. However, I've determined the roots of what is making it hard for me to sleep, and am able to get decent sleep most nights, and sleep all through the night at least twice a week.
  5. Insomnia; That whole being tired thing has a ripple effect. The other day, I had a pretty lousy night's sleep, which meant I was exhausted come the next evening. I couldn't stay awake past 8:05pm, which resulted in me being awake at 2:30am. The vicious cycle continued until my birthing class forced me to stay awake until 10pm one night, and then everything seemed to fall back into place, for now ;)
  6. Hunger mind games; I never know if I am actually hungry, thirsty, or just bored. I've been so mindful about my meal plan and snacks, trying to make sure that I'm getting good nutrients and staying active, but the extra carbs here and there are oh-so tempting, especially when other are telling you that being pregnant is like having a free pass for calories (I don't believe it).
  7. Acid-reflux; this one is hit or miss. During the last part of my 1st trimester, I couldn't figure out why I always had a bad taste in my mouth. Turns out it was acid reflux. Thank goodness for tums. It still pops up every now and then, but nothing like those few weeks in the beginning.
  8. Shortness of breath; I hate that I become out of breath when I walk up a flight of stairs. Also, when I do morning announcements at school.
  9. Dialing back workouts; I really don't like having to slow down, but all the baby cares about is that mom is healthy, so I have to keep reminding myself that right now it's not just about me, it's about both of us. I can't wait to get back into my weight training exercise regime again after he's born, but I will adjust in the meantime. Actually, I've done two 5k's during my pregnancy so far.
  10. Outgrowing clothes quickly; it seems like something that fits one day simply won't fit the next day. I've started borrowing Sam's BYU shirts for college day at school each week because mine just do not have the expanding capacity to accommodate my ever-growing baby bump.
  • What are the ten best things about being pregnant?
Like I mentioned above, my pregnancy has been a beautiful experience so far. I'm actually already considering when to start trying for another one (don't jump to conclusions, it would be at least 18 months after Charlie is born). Here are my list of the ten things that I've really loved about pregnancy:
  1. Feeling stronger; my body is starting to amaze me more and more everyday. I can't believe I'm growing another person in my body. It really feels like I'm cloning myself. I had no idea pregnancy could help me feel this kind of strength.
  2. Ultrasounds; we've had three ultrasounds, and each one has been such a great experience. Our little boy keeps growing and developing every day. It's neat to see him each time and learn more and more about it. It definitely adds to our joyful anticipation.
  3. Belly Movement; this is so cool to watch. Especially when suddenly I feel him kicking and then my belly starts to dance. I gotta wonder what he's doing in there.
  4. Shopping for baby clothes; I never knew how much fun I could have shopping for little boy clothes. Honestly, little girl clothes totally overwhelm me, so I've really grown to love looking in the boys section. This is going to be one well-dressed kiddo.
  5. Stretching; exercise stretching is so much more satisfying lately. Probably because it is actually relieving aches that I'm already super aware of.
  6. Healthy lifestyle; as I started my 3rd trimester, the 20lbs of weight I'd gained so far started to freak me out a bit. Since that moment, I've actually been eating even healthier than before. Lots of smoothies and whatnot. My doctor told me I was mildly anemic, so getting enough iron has been a focus for awhile. But yes, I thought I was doing okay before, and now I think I'm doing even better.
  7. Cooking Confidence; I'm definitely a creature of habit, so when I suddenly wanted to try all these new recipes, Sam was ecstatic. So far we've made homemade pizza, pretzels, muffins, etc. Next up we have cauliflower rice and curry. It's fun having the confidence to experiment more with food.
  8. Adventurous spirit; I'm very much a homebody, but lately I've been more daring and wanting to get out and do stuff. Maybe it's because I know how much everything is about to change. Regardless, we've been enjoying our last few months pre-baby.
  9. Parenting books; as a couple, we enjoy information, so parenting books are like trying to choose in a candy store. We found one that we like that is the philosophical perspective, and ordered another one about the actual stages of childhood.
  10. Peace; I'm at that point in my pregnancy where I'm settled and life is good. I'm comfortable with my body and emotionally stable most of the time. I catch myself admiring my belly in mirrors, and looking forward to the next few weeks leading up to delivery. Of course my body image is still in the back of my mind, but I'm not as obsessed with it right now. I'm hoping that this peace is a lingering kind, and that I can enjoy it fully for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment