Thursday, January 1, 2015

I'm a Disney Princess...

To kick off the new year, I decided to pay homage to the Disney princesses that I grew up with. The princesses have been the subject of some scrutiny this last year due to the release of Frozen, and I thought I'd defend them by relating to each of them in some way shape or form. For your reading delight, you can read this fun fact page that inspired this post here.


This is Lindsey. She is a Disney Princess.
She has brothers and is fiercely independent (like Merida),
She loves books and dreams of adventure (like Belle),
She has spent her life being part of one world but openly longing to be part of another (like Ariel),
She knows how to ply with the big boys (like Mulan),
She knows the value of hard work and has the ambition to help it play out (like Tiana),
She dreams of true love (like Aurora),
She loves animals and the idea of living in a cottage (like Snow White),
She appreciates the effort of a total makeover (like Cinderella),
She has a tattoo (like Pocahontas),
She has a mind of her own and isn't afraid to voice her opinion (like Jasmine),
and she can't wait for her life to begin (like Rapunzel).


Here's the thing, I grew up with these women. I grew up singing their songs, pretending I was living in their stories. The lessons I learned from them helped make me the woman I am today. I will never verbally accost any of these princesses for the choices they make, because I know why I would make a different decision. Their choices help me understand differences between the way women think and how the draw their own conclusions.

They are inspiring woman who are very relatable. There are pieces of them of me, and in all the other girls of the world I'm sure.

Being a princess should be a good thing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment