Saturday, April 16, 2016

UWHEN Conference 2016

This year, I was invited to attend the 2016 Utah Women in Higher Education Conference up at the U. I was so excited for the chance to return to campus, because let's be honest, lately I'm missing the U more than I want to admit.

Anyway, the day started off with an amazing quote, "I know we'll have a great day because you are all great women!"

This was such an amazing conference to attend, I learned so much about higher education (something I absolutely love but haven't really felt like I've been a part of it for awhile).

First off, I learned that high achieving low-income area students are less likely to be successful that low-achieving high-income students. This made me angry, mostly because I was that low-income student (because of where I lived, I attended low-income area schools). Those who are willing to work hard should have the same academic opportunities.

The first break-out session I attended was about conflict navigation, and I learned a lot about trust, expectations, accountability, clarity, and outcomes.

The second session was a panel put together by a colleague of mine, a panel called "Women in STEM." Four women in geology, chemistry, and engineering talked about girls and how they (don't) fit into science environments. They talked about the struggles and barriers that they experienced and (or) broke down to get where they are now.

One thing I took away from this panel was learning about the Imposter phenomenon. Basically, 70% of females with advanced degrees feel phony. That's 7 our of 10 smart, capable females who don't feel like they've accomplished the amazing goals that they have!

I myself feel like an imposter as I'm finishing my thesis and preparing for my defense. But I'm mostly questioning myself because I'm not having the same kinds of struggles as my cohort. Because I'm ahead, I feel like I can't celebrate my achievement without making them feel bad (which they shouldn't, because writing a thesis is hard work!) or seem like I'm bragging.

It's a hard line to walk for sure.

Lastly, the conference ended with a closing panel called "It's not about you: Handling professional interactions with aplomb." The provost for my institution was on the panel, and she is so neat, I couldn't wait to hear her sound words of wisdom.

Some of the take-away points I got were:

"Be more proactive than reactive"

"Establish credibility for yourself, and that confidence and integrity are key to a thick skin"

"Be centered on knowing who you are"

"Do you step out when you should step up?"

"If you chose to be a leader because you want to be loved, you should reconsider"

"Some things you just have to suck up"

"Make your own space by pursuing a passion where they don't know your day job"

That last one came directly from my provost, and I'm so glad she said that! I also was asked to think about the following questions:

  1. What are my principles/core values?
  2. What are my resources?
  3. Who are my allies?
  4. Who is my mentor?
  5. Who do I look up to?
  6. Who is someone  I can be honest with?
The best advice I got from this panel was "Don't be afraid to make a change." Honestly, I live in fear far too often and frankly it's not a place I want to live. I fear change, and maybe it's time to overcome fear in general.

Seriously though, what a great conference! Higher Ed is most definitely where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment