Friday, October 20, 2017

Expecting A Miracle, Part 9

  • List three memorable interactions with strangers during your pregnancy.
First, when they were asking me in August if I was due soon. Take it December and August are not exactly close together, so I definitely had some insecurities about how big I looked. The fact that tying shoelaces is a chore, as well as bending down to feed the dog AND having issues opening the blinds in the kitchen just added to that stress. Seriously, countertops hit me right in the baby bump, which means I need to get the stepping stool out of the cupboard and use it in order to pull open the blinds without hurting my stomach. I can't lean into the bathroom mirror anymore for the same reason. I've been reduced to using a hand-held mirror to get a close up look at what's happening on my face.

Then I had people questioning my pregnancy symptoms. People were shocked that I wasn't nauseous or that my stint of acid reflux lasted about 6 weeks during the first trimester. Someone actually told me that sciatic pain during the second trimester wasn't a real symptom. Additionally, people ask me how I feel all the time. Whether I cheerfully respond about it going well, or painfully acknowledge the crippling pain in my SI joint, people just love to quip in with "It will get worse." Last night, annoyed beyond all reason, I told Sam that I wish people were more positive about this experience (especially as the finish line nears). I want someone to acknowledge that the sciatica is temporary, and that every painful night I've had so far will feel like a distant memory the minute they put that little boy on my chest and I get to meet him for the first time. That hearing his cry will sound like the most beautiful sound in the world. That the pains will come and go, but they will pale in comparison to the joy he will bring to my life.

Finally, people asking how many more children I plan on having. The answer is one. Let this one finish baking in the womb, and then I can start to plan around having another one. I feel pretty strongly about having two children and then being done. However, I am open to a third, but there are some pretty strong stipulations that are a part of that alternative universe.
  • Make a quote bank of things people said about your belly/body during pregnancy.
Honestly I wish I'd written some of them down. But a few of the memorable ones go as followed:

"Are you getting pregnant?" - 2nd grader

"You're too tiny to be that far along."- A teacher

"Look at how fat you're getting!" Another teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment