Friday, October 13, 2017

Thank You, Gravity

Dear Charlie,

This week was a rough one. For some reason, you decided at the 30 weeks mark you were going to start really moving around. Whether this is because you are aware that your space in the womb will soon run out (as will your time) or just a coincidence, I'll never know. But I do know how much pain I've been in since then.

You tend to roll into positions that aggravate my sciatic nerve, and lately it feels like that's where you've set up shop. Sleeping is a chore and whenever I try to roll over I'm overwhelmed with agonizing pain that is usually followed by a whimper. This of course alerts Daddy who wants to know what's wrong, as well as your fur sister Princess who immediately surfaces from under the covers to investigate.

When I'm awake and performing my daily duties I am okay for the most part, until mid-afternoon rolls around. At this point I feel like my belly is just going to drop down and I will plummet to the floor with no hope of ever standing up again. Of course I exaggerate ever so slightly, but seriously, the weight is real. You try carrying around 15% of extra body weight solely in your mid-section and lower back and see if you don't let gravity get you down.

Despite everything, I still think:

Are you growing? How much?

How big are you today? How about tomorrow? Or the day after that?

Will you pretty please roll off of my sciatic nerve?

These are the questions that dominate the corners of my mind every time I feel an ache, a movement, or a shooting pain in my hip.

How much longer will you put me through this? Will you go beyond your EDD, or will you surprise me by coming sooner? Or will you simply be a stubborn little Elmer and wait until midnight on your actual EDD?

You've got two months to make up your mind.

Mama loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment