Sunday, November 26, 2017

How can that be? dogs vs. kids

Ever since we adopted Princess, I notice really interesting facts about life.

Primarily the facts comparing children and dogs when it comes to vaccinations and health records.

For example, in order to take Princess to puppy school I had to provide proof of vaccinations. I couldn't even sign up for the class until I emailed in a copy of her records (which was hard because I was waiting for the nonprofit to mail them to me). We ended up going to Kudos 2 Canines, a company that partners with our nonprofit and let us signup under the condition that we bring the record to the first class two weeks later.

When I register new kids at school, they need to provide a shot record. However, they can register if they have an exemption form from the State Health Department.

Theoretically, as a heavily pregnant woman, I am safer around a pack of dogs in the Petsmart grooming center than at my own school (because I do have anti-vaxxers attending various grades). Normally stuff like this only annoys me slightly, but today it became a full-blown irritation.

We took Princess to get her nails ground at our usual Petsmart. Since her last visit, she's gotten a rabies shot from the Vetco clinic and Distemper/Parvo shots from the Humane Society. Because their system said she was overdue for her shots, they would't take her. I was annoyed, but we went home and retrieved her shot record. Sam took her back, and then called me to say that her rabies tag wasn't valid without the vaccination information (to which I did not have a hard copy of anything, nor could I access it because of the Vetco link being expired).

So frustrating.

We were able to get the company to email us the info that we needed and get it to the groomers, but it took FOREVER.

After Sam called the company and complained, they sent me the info right away, but if we hadn't called it would have taken several days for the company to pull and email me the records.

On the one hand, I was angry that it took so much work to get this taken care of. On the other hand, at least I knew that every dog being serviced in that small space was up-to-date on shots. I have to keep reminding myself that at least I know for sure that my pup is safe from nasty stuff.

But seriously though, why is it easier to send your unvaccinated child to school than it is to take your dog to the groomers?

*I strongly recommend the Humane Society Clinic if you need to vaccinate your pets. They are fantastic!*

No comments:

Post a Comment