Wednesday, January 17, 2018

mommy time

It was an interesting 3-day weekend for our little family.

Saturday was a busy day that involved me going to the eye doctor, and ordering new glasses (for the first time since 2011). Sam and Charlie dropped me off, and then ran their own errands while I learned my eye prescription changed ever so slightly in my left eye. We all met up so that Sam could help me choose my new frames (because otherwise it would have taken me all day because I'm so picky with my style), and then we grabbed lunch at Chick-fil-A with baby in tow.

I had been thinking a lot lately about the best way to feed Charlie. Nursing had grown painful and exhausting, and I was starting to resent my little boy. Hear me out, the reason why was because not only was it hurting/wearing me down, but he wasn't getting enough to eat. My mother-in-law had been visiting for a week to give me a hand, and we had many conversations about my frustrations. When she left on Thursday, I decided that something needed to change.

I had turned to my Facebook friends for formula recommendations; we were going to start a 50/50 feeding arrangement for Charlie where we alternate bottles of formula and breastmilk. I still nurse him 1-2 times a day, but I'm hoping that after his lip-tie procedure on Thursday it will resolve some of our nursing issues and I can bump it up to 3-4.

One of my friends from my mom's neighborhood offered me eleven canisters of formula, so Charlie and I headed out for a few afternoon visits en route to accomplishing our errand. We could't believe how fortunate we were to have been gifted so much!

Overall it was a pretty mellow day, but our night was not.

Our bad night was topped off with Sam sleeping through his alarm and being late for 9am church. We were both pretty frustrated.

Later that day, Sam told me I deserved a break from all the stress I was under.

While he was home for the holiday on Monday, I got to get away for "me time."

I went to see Pitch Perfect 3, bought sushi for lunch, and got a pedicure. I was only gone for about four hours, but it was enough to make me miss my boys.

Staying home with my baby is hard, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't like it.

I love spending time with my baby, but I miss my job. I miss going to work and operating on a schedule. We've gone to school to visit a few times, but all it does is make me want to return early.

I have six weeks left of my leave, so I'm going to try my very best to make the most of the time I have left. I just need to make sure I take "me time," or "mommy time" in this case.

I'm sure the moms who read this would agree that we all need time for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment