Saturday, April 25, 2015

Once Upon A Time...

Once upon a time, I had a brother who decided to serve a mission. With him leaving, I decided it was time to permanently move away from home and pursue a life of my own. I found myself moving into a little brick house in Sugarhouse and starting the next chapter of my life.

I started attending the Hillside YSA ward shortly after I moved in in April 2013, and definitely had a tough time adjusting. Making friends didn't come as easily as I wished it would, neither did dating. Five months after I moved to the neighborhood, a guy named Sam moved in as well.

Sam was super friendly, very sweet, and had just graduated from BYU. He'd moved to Salt Lake for his first post-grad job, and boy was he adorable! I don't remember exactly how we met, but in April 2014 we were both at a Multi-Stake Speed Dating Activity and finally started talking. I guess that's the first time we became friends.

In an random twist of fate, I met another Sam at that activity and ended up dating him that summer, all the while bonding with my new friend every Sunday. "How's your favorite Sam?" he'd ask.

Anyway, after the other Sam and I parted ways, this one enthusiastically claimed, "Oh good, now I can be your favorite Sam." While I took two months to deal with my feelings about life, he was the best friend I could've asked for. He even gave me a blessing on a night where I felt so broken that I was certain I would never feel joy again.

I was wrong. I slowly started to feel better, and began dating again in October 2014. I was NOT eager to rush into another relationship, so I did not commit myself to just one guy. However, I had bought tickets for the Yellowcard concert during the summer, and realized I either needed to sell them, or find a date.

My friend Hayley had been pestering me about asking Sam out for weeks, so I invited him to go to the concert with me in November. The concert was kind of blah, so when we set up a second date, I knew it wasn't because he liked my taste in music. We continued to spend time together, under the impression that we were free to date other people.

Come December, things had started to change. We spent more and more time together, and got used to seeing each other on a regular basis. He went home to Arizona for New Years, and I really missed him. All of the guys I was spending time with were texting me at the same time, but he was the only one I was texting back.

Just as the semester started up, we got tickets to Divine Comedy down at BYU and went to the show mid-January. On the way to Provo, we had our "define the relationship talk" and decided that it was time for us to become an exclusive couple. His family came to town in February and I began to bond with his parents and some of his cousins who lived in town.

Flash forward to April 24, 2015.

We got tickets to Cendrillon, a steampunk Cinderella opera at Kingsbury Hall. We were having dinner at B&D burgers, where I was informed via email hat I had won tickets to a Studio C taping in June. I was over the moon!

We went to the opera show, and during intermission, ran into my voice teachers David and Shalee. We chatted for a few minutes, and suddenly he handed Shalee his camera and asked her to take our picture. As she took a few, he pulled out a box, got down on one knee, and asked me to marry him!

Oh my gosh! I seriously think my brain stopped working for a few seconds because all I could do was stare at the beautiful diamond ring he was holding out to me.

Of course I said yes!

Now, I'm going to marry the love of my life who is also one of best friends on Saturday July 18, 2015 in the Bountiful Temple. I can't believe I found my Prince Charming, and at the Cinderella show no less!



No comments:

Post a Comment