Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Writing Update

As you all know, I recently took the #My500words challenge for thirty-one days. It was such a great experience, I think I definitely broke through some of my writing walls and learned a little bit more about my voice, which is great, considering what's currently happening with my novel.

Let me backtrack, right after I started the challenge I was able to meet up with my friend and former roommate Natalie. Seeing as she studied English while we were in school, I brought her a copy of my manuscript.

A little while later, she texted and asked when we could get together to talk about my work.We ended up meeting last weekend so that she could give me her notes.

Long story short, she asked if she could edit my book, and now we are officially partners!

Her feedback really gave me the chance to think about my characters and the "Lindsey-verse" they lived in, and for the last few days I've been trying to write 500 words for the new scenes. In the last three days, I've reached about 1,600 words of brand new content. I'm hoping to add this rather large new section to the story before the month is over. By the time my classes end a few weeks later, I plan on rewriting the novel, chapter by chapter and share them with my editor!

It has been such a neat experience to work on the companion novel while everyone reads the original, it has definitely helped me understand my voice and perception as a writer. I've also come up with some ideas to help make the original novel even better.

Maybe the whole "write my way to happiness" dream was more realistic than I originally thought. Oh well, time to get back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment