Tuesday, November 4, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 26

The Challenge

Write about disappointment

The 500 Words

Write about a disappointment? I feel like I don’t have small disappointments, only really large heartbreaking disappointments. I already told you about getting rejected from my first choice grad school program, and not getting my dream job in the office I wanted to work in forever. I’ve tried to be diplomatic and classy about my break-up, but maybe it’s time to talk about it for a minute.

Having my heart broken wasn’t the disappointment, it was knowing that I went out on a limb and let myself trust someone enough to fall in love, and then they let me down. I was disappointed that I couldn’t be loved back.

I wondered what was so wrong with me? How could anyone deserve feeling a pain quite like this? How could I not see it coming? Who did I cross in a past life to have this catch up with me?

The definition of the word ‘disappointment’ is: the feeling of sadness or displeasure caused by the nonfulfillment of one’s hopes or expectations.

Yeah, losing my boyfriend was definitely a physical representation of that definition. I never thought I would feel hopeful again; like all of my dreams had been shattered and I questioned everything I knew about myself. It wasn’t just about losing the hope in the relationship; it was about losing hope in myself.

After two months, the pain has dulled and the memories have faded. The feelings have been released out into the universe and I do not want to feel them again anytime soon. That’s not me saying I never want to feel love again, I just want to keep my feelings to myself for awhile. I’m not ready to share them with other people for fear that I will lose those hopes again.

How do people overcome their disappointments? I would assume that after an appropriate timeframe to process and deal with it, they would start to figure out a new dream.

What is my new dream? Well, in my attempts to refocus all of my thoughts on my graduate program, writing, and art, I’ve set out on a path of self-fulfillment. In school, I am working with others in my cohort to make positive changes and design programs in the education sector. In my writing, I am working on the companion novel to the one I finished this past summer. As an added bonus, I’ve taken steps to become a temple worker so that I can tap into my religious beliefs and feel like I’m making a difference.

I don’t know what my new dream is. But I know that I want to make a difference. My friends in the cohort are the people who have the vision to make change, but I’m the one who can figure out how to change the processes in order to make it happen. They can propose the big changes, and I can run the new programs. Change the world or run the world; I’d like to run the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment