Sunday, November 2, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 24

The Challenge

Cut the fluff

The 500 Words


It is time to write about being classy.

Audrey Hepburn, Kate Middleton, Michelle Obama, and my Aunt Nichole are each physical representations of the word classy.

To me, being classy means being a combination of a few key factors:

Authenticity
Kindness
Compassion
Sincerity
…and Simplicity

I feel that each of these attributes speak for themselves, except simplicity. I believe in the movie Footloose, there is a quite where Reverend Moore’s wife tells Ariel, “Simple elegance is something to strive for.”

For me, I would like to translate simplicity into the areas of fashion, elocution, and emotion. My personal fashion sense is basic; block colors, single-strand pearl necklaces, silver earrings, etc. I like having the ability to build onto outfits and add-on to combinations that I come up with.

Elocution, the way someone speaks, is important as well. Listen carefully, observe closely, and think before you speak. When it is time to speak, be kind, smart, and concise with your word choice. I have learned that you do not need to speak loudly or be the most articulate person in the room in order to still be heard.

Emotion. I dream of simple emotions; almost to the point where I wish I had the emotional intelligence of a guy, not to say that guys aren’t in touch with their feelings, they just seem to have a less complicated way of processing and dealing than women do. Say what you mean, when you mean it, and move on. Don’t stop to think or dwell on what might happen. Just feel it and move on.

I dream of the version of my self that aspires to be more like Audrey Hepburn; Meredith and I love her, and do our best to appreciate everything that a woman like that stands for. Our attempt at “classy” comes from our desire to be remembered for all the good things we do in this lifetime.

I want to be a classy woman with uncompromised integrity. I want to be the Audrey or the Kate of my generation. I mean, someone needs to be, why can’t it be me?

Maybe one day I will be that version of myself because of the words I write and the people I inspire. I wish I knew how to be more like them so that I can start making a difference.


As of right now, I’m just shy of my word goal for the day, but I think I have said all that needed to be said. So, I will call it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment