Sunday, November 9, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 31

The Challenge

Write about finishing this challenging/accomplishing a goal

The 500 Words

I love how this challenge is supposed to be about the thrill of finishing this challenge, and the overall victorious feeling of accomplishing a goal. That makes me laugh, because I feel that’s all I do is accomplish goals. Every time I decide that I really want something, I make a list of steps that will help me get there.

For example, writing a book. It’s not like I haven’t written stories before, but this was definitely the longest in length. First, I had to do character summaries to figure out who was who and what they were all about. Then I needed to figure out the story; I made a very detailed outline, and probably 80% of the original outline was kept, the other 20% was modified repeatedly.

Next up was actually writing the story. I wrote it out of order to avoid writer’s block, and it took 14 months from start to finish to have a decent first draft. After the draft comes getting feedback from certain people to polish it up just a little bit. I love feedback, it doesn’t bother me at all, but I think it’s because I’ve emotionally detached myself from my work. Of course, I do love it completely because it is my baby, but I also know that I want what’s best for my work and am willing to do whatever it takes to make sure it becomes the best version I can make of it.

Taking all that feedback and creating a second draft came next on the list. I rewrote, added scenes, cut others, changed a few names here and there, and voila! Second draft.

My point is, I accomplish my goals all the time. It’s part of my personality; if I’m not achieving something, I don’t feel like I’m progressing. This year alone, I got into grad school, aced all of my classes so far, continued my piano lessons, finished a 10k, drove my car for it’s very first road trip down to Saint George, taken up painting, got a newer and better paying job, finished two drafts of my book, and started the next one.

I’m no stranger to accomplishing my goals. I love the feeling of victory and knowing that I can do “big” things. As long as I write it down, I know I will do it. I love lists, making them and crossing the items off of them. It gives me so much joy knowing that I accomplish things.

Doing this challenge meant having that feeling every time the word count hit 500 words. Every day felt victorious, one more daily task to cross off the list. I really enjoyed finding my writer’s confidence, and learning how to tap into my creativity brought on by vague parameters. It was nice to recapture my spark of brilliance.

I guess it’s time to find a new challenge to validate myself as a writer. I still can’t believe I did this for thirty-one days.

Bring on the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment