Saturday, November 8, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 30

The Challenge

Write about innocence

The 500 Words


Innocence; it refers to a few different things. One definition highlights a separation from involvement in a crime or offense, another sheds light on virginity, and the third is about purity (or a lack of corruption).

Writing about my childhood isn’t the challenge. I remember being six years old and absorbing every bit of information that was thrown at me. Children are naturally pure, full of curiosity, love, and have an overwhelming desire to be friendly to others. Children don’t have the ten-foot high, electrified concrete fences around their hearts like some adults do.

I read a lot of books as a kid. It was a weekly thing for my mom to take me to the library and I would grab a stack of like, 15 Babysitter’s Club books. I would carry them around in my backpack all week; whenever I finished one I would simply trade it out for the next one. Other kids bullied me for my “unnatural” obsession with reading books for fun. But reading was the love of my young life.

These stories would take me away from my current life and let me observe what life was like for other characters. I learned about hardships felt by others, what it meant to be vulnerable, and what it was like to fall in love. This certainly wasn’t a substitute for the real-world experiences, but it gave me a better idea of what to expect in certain situations.

I find my own writing process is the opposite of all the experiences I had as child. I write about people who are naturally jilted and emotionally raw, and are able to showcase that kind of innocence once they connected with someone.

Although, I think that innocence is more than yourself being considered “pure,” it’s being able to recognize the same kind of purity in others. I like that I am able to find the purity among my friends and family members. Everybody has that glimmer of innocence, and it isn’t a bad thing.

People should strive to hold onto the characteristics and ideals that make them innocent, because I believe that it is rooted together with hope.

Children hope for everything; Christmas gifts, new friends, their favorite foods, the books they love, the people they love, they always have hope for the things that make them happy.

My hope for doing this thirty-day challenge was that I would write my way to happiness. I definitely think I’ve made some strides in the last months, and I have hope that as long as I keep moving, that hope will become my reality.

I hope for joy.

Innocence=Hope=Joy


There is so much to be joyful for, there are many things that are joyous and we don’t even realize it. What gives you hope? What bring you joy? What is your innocence? Those are three things I feel are much needed in the world today. It all starts with acknowledging them, one at a time. I know we can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment