Wednesday, November 5, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 27

The Challenge

Write about work

The 500 Words


Work is an interesting part of my life. I have had jobs that I loved, and job that I did not love; jobs that I started out loving and ended up hating, and vice versa. The one thing that they all had in common was what I learned, and how I came to the realization that I would not have obtained those skills otherwise. Most of them are about people; dealing with them and gaining a better understanding of what they are all about.

I had one job in particular that was a huge learning experience, and I won’t specify certain things because I don’t think that “trash talking” would do anyone any good. I learned a lot about people; working with a certain kind of people, and working for a certain kind of people. The key word here was materialism. I certainly didn’t function that way, but most of the others around me did. Everyone is entitled to do things their own way, but I have a hard time when they suddenly decide to criticize me just because I believe in doing things differently. As long as I’m not hurting anyone, why does it matter what my lifestyle is like or the beliefs I hold?

Anyway, a common feeling for me within this work environment was working with “mean girls.” I wasn’t well liked, which was weird because I was told this by my boss after the first two weeks. How could they dislike me so much when none of them were even trying to get to know me? So my first major obstacle in adjusting to this position was knowing that without doing anything, people had already decided that I didn’t belong there and they were making it very clear. What was I supposed to do?

I did my best and tried to find my niche; I looked for the good elements in my days, but after a while I felt the dislike wearing away at my soul. It wasn’t the industry that I had issues with, it was always the environment. It was unprofessional and unacceptable. Why would any sane person subject themselves to this? For minimum wage nonetheless, and no benefits. I stayed to build character, because I wanted to learn, because I thought that if I tried as hard as I could, it would somehow pay off in the long run.

It did, just not the way I thought it would.

I learned how to appreciate people. I am nice and friendly to everyone I meet. I don’t judge them based on their clothes or where they grew up or how much spending money they have. I’m a good, decent person. I don’t gossip about others just because I can, I go out of my way to include others instead of make them feel alienated. Maybe that makes me a much better person than most of those mean girls, or maybe it doesn’t. I learned the kind of person I did not want to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment