Sunday, May 18, 2014

Signing up for my first 10k

You know, I had so much fun doing 5k's last summer, that I decided to simply do ONE 10k this summer, and then volunteer for the Young Alumni 5k at the U later in September.

Today, I officially registered for the Deseret Classic set to take place on Pioneer Day in July. At first I was skeptical, thinking 'do I really need to do all the things on my goal list that I made for New Years?' Those of you who know me are aware that I hate leaving a to-do list incomplete. While I am in favor of making adjustments (ex: changing 'Get into ELP program' to 'Get into Grad School'), I just couldn't find a way around 'Run a 10k.' Oh well, what the heck?

Anyway, I began constructing a training schedule to help me get ready for July 24. It includes a lot of stretching, 3 mile runs, sessions on the elliptical, and some strength training. As I made the schedule, I realized how excited I was, mostly because I love structure (and having a consistent exercise schedule for the next 9 weeks wasn't a bad idea either) and it was a great segue into a new work-out routine.

I'm genuinely looking forward to training and the race itself, and most of my training is in the early AM, so it will not interfere with my unavoidably imminent post-work exhaustion. So really, it's just a matter of getting up 50 minutes earlier on a few select days this summer.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment