Monday, October 6, 2014

Leave it on the canvas

I've been so caught up with finishing my assignments for Leadership Development that I haven't been able to write much about my paintings lately! So consider this the crown jewel of the tiara of my hobbies ;)

At the end of September I was able to participate in a 4hr Large Canvas Workshop. It was something I had wanted to do for awhile, but it was $100 and that had me hesitating. It was a lot of money, but I'd been babysitting a whole bunch since the breakup, and I had some cash to spare.

Anyway, it was raining like crazy when it was time to head down to the studio, and I was slightly concerned that it would still be raining when it was time to leave, since this would be the largest canvas I'd ever worked on. But I convinced myself that it would be okay.

My instructor was the same woman from last time (good thing too, because she was so much fun to work with!) and she asked me what I wanted to paint. I wasn't sure. I had toyed with the idea of doing something with a bridge, but that was as far as I'd gotten. I finally decided that I wanted to do a skyline, only this one wouldn't be a silhouette like I've been doing lately. All I wanted to do was use as many colors as possible. Ergo, the idea behind City of Dreams developed. I wanted to depict what was happening in my head using colors and shapes.

This process felt like it took forever, but also like no time had passed at all.

My blank 30"x40" canvas

Painting the background


The finished background

The mid-point of creating the city

The skyline, more or less complete

I give you, City of Dreams


No comments:

Post a Comment