Monday, October 27, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 18

The Challenge

Write about waiting

The 500 Words

I feel like I do a lot of waiting. I’m probably one of the most impatient people ever, at least that is what so many people tell me. But is anyone ever really patient? The waiting for things makes me crazy, because I’d just assume get something over with instead of sitting around contemplating the various ways it could or might turn out. School is probably the one thing that tries my patience and my coping methods the most.

The most prominent waiting period I’ve experienced in the last year was when I was waiting to hear about graduate school at the University of Utah. The deadline to apply was at the end of January, and they would email their decisions at the end of February.

I distinctly remember telling myself that until it was February, I wouldn’t bother worrying yet. It was nice to have a plan, because looking back, I can’t imagine letting myself freak out for that long of time without making myself ill. Finally, I decided to call the department and ask about when the committee was meeting. They weren’t meeting until the end of February, and then they would email out their decision.

I began to worry the day after the committee met, and it was three days later that I got my letter. Those three days nearly killed me. Waiting for someone else to tell me what my future would be, I had no control, I’d done everything I could. All that was left to do was to sit, and wait.

I guess, for me, waiting implies doing nothing. Unfortunately, the only thing you can really do while you wait is worry about what is coming, or simply distract yourself by staying busy. I feel like in this case, I did both and for far too long. I spend way too much of my time contemplating every single kind of scenario, only to have things work out in a way that I didn’t expect anyway.

I tried to write during my wait. I tried to brainstorm, theorize, and creatively out think what I had chosen to inflict upon myself. And by that, I mean, I decided to apply for something, therefore I had to wait to find out (unless I suddenly didn’t care, which might be something I should start doing).

Maybe I should stop taking all of these choices so seriously. I need to remember that everything is an option. I can do anything. I will always have options. Maybe I need to employ the phrase “Don’t put all your eggs into one basket.” This should be my new mantra, and maybe the next time I’m waiting for something, I won’t feel the need to attempt to think of every kind of option before a decision is made.


There are better ways to spend waiting time other than worrying, and maybe I need to combo attack those thoughts by not caring as much and by using better distraction techniques. It can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment