Monday, October 13, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 4

Today’s challenge is learning how to free write, which means not at any point in this passage am I allowed to go back and change anything. For those who are unaware of what a free write is, it is a prewriting activity that is supposed to help writers get their ideas out without succumbing to the hardships of editing and revising the same 200 words over and over again without moving forward. If there is one thing I’m eager to avoid is being trapped beneath the unfortunate pressure of writers block.

As of yesterday, I decided to change the concept of my novel’s companion book (Boston’s book). I was originally going to start his book six years before his first meeting of my leading lady, but now I think I’m going to start it the month before their first meeting. Instead of starting in the past and working forward, I’m going to start in the present and lace it with memories of his past.

I think the reason why it was so challenging to conceptualize his story was because I was trying to explain how this amazing guy came to be, but in his past he was simply mediocre until he started discovering who he was as a person. I wanted to capitalize on his spark of awesome and enhance my audience’s affections for him as opposed to just trying to explain how he came to be. So, show vs. tell the best way to say it.

Why did I finally decide to do my story like this? Heartache. When I started writing my novel last year, I was inadvertently creating my dream man. I want to write about something that makes me happy, and writing about him reminds me that there are great guys out there and I just need to know what I am looking for.

I figure the best way to discover what is truly in my heart is to just write it out.  Free writes might be able to help me organize my thoughts, and on paper nonetheless. I don’t know why I thought this would be easy. Matters of the heart are never easy, but I have to say that I do enjoy writing them out more than I thought I would.

There is something special about Boston; he is my only character to be completely fictional. He is not inspired by or based on anyone. He is totally and completely original, and by far my best creation. Is it weird to say that I am quite possibly in love with my fictional leading man? I mean, it’s not that crazy considering I designed him to fall for my own counterpart in the novel.


I’m so excited that I get to write about him again, he got such rave reviews from my readers, and I believe the term my pal Emma used was “endearing.”  I want to write about Boston, because writing about him makes me happy, and I really want to be happy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment