Thursday, October 16, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 7

The Challenge

Write a letter to your kids (or your younger self)

The 500 Words

Dear Children,

As your mother, I’m sure you think that I know the answer to everything. Well that’s only half true. I like to think I know everything, but only because knowledge means confidence.

Having self-confidence is the most important thing you can have. I believe Shakespeare said, “This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

Being yourself is the one thing I hope you will do. Although being yourself isn’t necessarily the hard part, it’s discovering who you are and then having the courage to be yourself.

Who you are matters.
What you have to say matters.
You matter, and you always will.

People will be your greatest obstacles in this amazing life journey. They will build you up one minute, and then tear you down the next. They will tell you they love you and then they will take it back. I wish I could say it gets easier, or that it gets better, but really it all depends on how you choose to view it.

If you are anything like me, you are a conundrum. No one thing defines you. This is an amazing quality that can also feel like a curse. It means that you have that special kind of resilience and strength, but you are completely unaware of your powers. My dear sweethearts, we are a rare breed; the word special does not even begin to describe who we are or the potential that we have.

Our path is not an easy one, while we are gifted for not fitting a mold, it can also feel like the loneliest gig in the world. The latter is an illusion. Believe me. We are not alone. The number of people who love us is astounding. If you are anything like me though, you forget about that 80% of the time. Contrary to popular belief, being unique does not mean you have to be alone.

You have me, and while I may not have each and every answer you seek, I will always be there for you. I will bail you out of jail, rescue you if your car gets towed, and pick you up when you’ve had a few too many. You will make choices based on your gut instinct, so I know that if you call me for help it will only be because you’ve tried absolutely everything else. I will be there. Always.

My love for you is immense and all-consuming. Even now, when there is no man in sight and I haven’t the slightest idea of who your father will be. I’m going to go out on a whim and deduce that he must be pretty spectacular. After all, look at you, there’s the proof.

I digress, you are amazing and special and the world does not know what it’s in for. One day you too will act like you know everything.


I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment