Thursday, October 23, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 14

The Challenge

Write about food

The 500 Words

I don’t eat much, this is just fact. Ask anyone who knows me well. So writing a post about food is challenging. So I’ve decided to put my own twist on it and talk about food memories. Most of the time when I eat out, it’s because it is a special occasion and I’m meeting up with friends. So I will tell you a few stories that just happen to include food.

I love sushi. My favorite roll is a Las Vegas roll. On more than one occasion when I lived in the Humanities House, we had house sushi nights. It was a blast! My first choice food for any kind of special occasion is definitely sushi. I also like Philly rolls, Rangoon rolls, and almost anything with salmon. The first time I ever ate sushi was on a date. It was a great date too; we ended up dating for a few weeks. Anyway, my date made sure I sampled many different kinds of sushi so that I could have the full experience. From that day forward, I had a new love, for Vegas rolls.

I really like Café Rio. I usually treat myself to a quesadilla every now and then (I also have a punch card; buy 10, get 1 free!). More often than not, I get a sweet pork barbacoa quesadilla, but if I feel like splurging, I go for the fire-grilled steak. I’ve tried to replicate the pork using the crock-pot, but I haven’t quite mastered it just yet. When I spend one-on-one time with my friends, this is the place we usually frequent.  

My favorite thing to cook at home is potato soup. I’m in love with Bear Creek soup mix, so I usually wait until it goes on sale and I stock up on the packets. I will cook the entire package at once, and then live off of it for about a week. It is always so delicious, I just need to learn how to make bread bowls and I’ll be in business! I’m pretty sure I could find a “how-to” tutorial on Pinterest, I just need to look. The first time I had this soup was at a Relief Society enrichment activity; everyone needed to bring a pair of shoes that said something about their personality. It was a fun activity, but I especially enjoyed the shoe metaphor.


I do enjoy cooking. I don’t do a whole lot of it because, well, I’m actually not sure. Maybe because cooking feels more like a chore. I want to find more way to enjoy it, maybe that should be one of my goals next year. Seriously though, my favorite food is a simply roast beef and provolone sandwich on sourdough bread with light mayo. I’m pretty low-maintenance when it comes to food. I don’t crave fancy or exotic things, but I am interested in trying new things. I really want to learn how to grill, then I could make bacon cheeseburgers all summer long.

No comments:

Post a Comment