Saturday, October 18, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 9

The Challenge

Teach something

The 500 Words

Teach something, me? I can teach, don’t get me wrong. But what am I supposed to teach in less than 500 words via blog post?

I guess I could talk about putting together an outfit attire for a special event, or how to study at the graduate level. But honestly, I think the only thing I could try to teach my readers right now is how to be a little more authentic.

First thing, you need to know what you stand for. What do you love? What are the things that matter to you? If you aren’t sure, make a list. I’m even willing to demonstrate by showing mine.

1.     Education
2.     Being nice to children
3.     Holding doors open
4.     Ambition
5.     Puzzles


This is not even a complete shortlist of what I stand for, but you get the idea. Knowing what’s important to you helps define your values.

Second thing, don’t lie. Cover ups are such a hassle, but more to the point it just makes you seem selfish. If you made a mistake, own up to it and promise never to do it again. Life is a learning experience, and if we don’t make mistakes then how can we prove that we’ve learned anything?

Third, well, actually this one should be alongside not lying, and it is being honest. Little white lies to spare someone’s feelings are appropriate under the proper circumstances. But 99% of the time, you really should be honest. You are only as good as your word, and who you are as a person holds credibility. 

Don’t forget to love. If you’re anything like me, you love a lot of people, but sometimes you don’t always feel it. Sometimes it feels incredibly lonely, but I’ve never regretted opening my heart to someone. I’ve felt incredibly stupid at times, but in the long run I’ve never found it regretful.

Make time to play; I paint, but honestly don’t know how to classify my writing. Sometimes it’s for fun and sometimes it’s more like work. Actually, aside from painting, most of my hobbies end up feeling like work. Maybe I really don’t know how to play, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t important. I play with my cousins, and that is always fun.

Don’t forget to be classy. If there is anything that I would like to be known as, it isn’t for my tenacity or my resilience, it would be for being a classy and upstanding member of society.

I want to inspire people to know who they are as individuals. I want people to know that being unique does not mean that you have to go through life alone, even though it can feel that way. Limited edition, that’s the word that best describes what I want to be. I think you need to be willing to risk yourself if you want to understand yourself.


Love, honesty, trustworthiness, joy; these are the things I wish I could teach, but even I am still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment