Friday, October 24, 2014

#My500Words Challenge: Day 15

The Challenge

How do you feel about writing

The 500 Words

I have to say that when I started this challenge, I really wasn’t sure what to expect. I mean, getting a daily email that tells you what to write? Who does that? I mean, really, shouldn’t I be a good enough writer that I don’t need someone to hold my hand for 30 days in order to prove it to myself?

I was wrong.

The prompts/challenges were nothing like I expected. They were vague and general, and I thought, “What is it that you really want me to write?” But I have had fun with the challenges, embracing the vagueness and filling in the blanks in order to make the best of my five hundred words. I definitely think that I write better on a whim because of it. I’m also getting at recognizing word count on sight; I know what five hundred words looks like.

I don’t know what I expected, or even if I am right to have any kind of expectations when I go through my daily dealings. This isn’t the first time where I’ve been asked to elaborate on what I thought something would be like. I think I need to learn to have a little more faith and trust the world a little bit more.

Is it possible to use writing to believe? What about growing your faith? Or to cultivate hope? Can I really write my way to happiness? I think that was the real challenge that I embraced 15 days ago.

I have said before how much I love writing. I don’t even really understand why, but then again, I’ve never really felt the need to question it. It is my greatest talent. Why would anyone question their talents? I’m promising myself right now: I will no longer question or forget to recognize my talent. Writing is my passion, but I really want to be my superpower.

Superheroes have superpowers most of the time, and they use their powers to save others and change the world for the better. I want my writing to change the world for the better. I want to inspire others to cultivate their own kind of superpower. Is that really such an outrageous thing to hope for?

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton was the root of my writing aspirations. I learned that the author was not only a girl, but she was only 19 when she wrote her story. If she could write at such a young age, why couldn’t I write stories too? Couldn’t I write something that inspires the next young girl to cultivate her superpower too?

In theory, I can do anything. People have told me this all my life. I’m not a stranger to ever hearing that sentence, but I don’t know if I’ve ever believed it. I’m going to start believing it. Why is it so challenging?


Maybe it’s time to start embracing the challenges and unlock my true potential. Who knows what can really be accomplished if that happens? Well, let’s see.

No comments:

Post a Comment